1. What are your areas of expertise? (For example; strategic planning, Board development, fundraising analysis.)
2. How long have you been in business?
3. How large is your organization?
4. What experience do you have working with nonprofits?
5. What other projects have you worked on that are similar to this? How are they similar, different?
6. Who would work with us on this project? Can we interview that person?
7. Can you give references, including the type of projects and outcomes you provided?
8. Can you provide samples of your work? (For example, if the project is marketing or PR, a sample of a brochure.)
9. What type of reports will we receive from you?
10. What are your expectations of our board/staff's involvement in this process? What can we expect from you? What do you require of us?
11. What does a typical session with you look like, in terms of time and work? How many sessions, typically? What follow-up is there once we have completed the process?
12. How would you describe the way you go about a job?
13. Will your written scope of work include a timeline and statement of fees?
14. What is your fee structure? Is it hourly or a lump sum? What is included? (For example, travel, photocopying.)
15. Will there be a rate breakdown by task and an allocation of the number of hours per task? How do you relate costs to work completed?
16. What is the average size project that you prefer? How many hours? Cost?
17. Are you willing to take on short-term projects and projects that would be $2,500 or less?
18. What is your project workload at present? How long will it take to complete our project?
19. Why do you think you're the best suited for this project? Why should we hire you?